The company of Millington’s was a major manufacturer of envelopes based in Tottenham.  At a Directors meeting at Basildon Park, near Reading, it was decided to make a new range of writing paper and envelopes with a high-quality watermarked paper to be sold at a low price.  It was called Basildon Bond after their meeting place.

In 1918 Dickinson’s bought out Millington’s after which Basildon Bond became a byword for high-class stationery.